In addition to everything that I have done to help my constituents so far, I am able to offer help with a range of problems, which are outlined below.

What is the role of an MP?

Nigel’s role as an MP is to represent his constituents at Westminster, regardless of whether or not they voted for him.

Members of Parliament can only deal with issues raised by their own constituents. Nigel will not respond to any correspondence that does not arrive from a constituent.

What can my MP do to help me?

Nigel can help you with all matters for which Parliament or central government is responsible, such as:

Tax problems involving the HM Revenue and Customs Department.
Problems dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions such as benefits, pensions, Child Maintenance Service, Child Support Agency and National Insurance.
Problems dealt with by the Home Office, such as immigration.
Problems dealt with by the Department of Health, such as hospitals and the National Health Service (NHS).
Problems dealt with by the Department for Education, such as school closures and grants.
He is unable to settle private disputes with neighbours or employers, nor can he help in family arguments or consumer matters. He cannot interfere with decisions made in court.

If your problem concerns the Local Authority (for example it is connected with services such as refuse collection, housing repairs or public lavatories), you should contact your local Council or Councillor.

Amber Valley Borough Council is a Borough Council, whereas Derbyshire County Council is a County Council.

The County Council manages services including schools, social services, strategic planning matters, highways, refuse and waste disposal sites, museums and libraries.

The Borough Council manages services including town planning, environmental health, housing, benefits, council tax collection, refuse collection and leisure facilities.

There are also parish and town councils. They are the most local level of government. They are independent but work closely with both us and district councils.

If you are unsure of who to go to or you have a problem of a more general nature then your nearest Citizens’ Advice Bureau will be able to guide you.

How does my MP deal with my problem?

Ways Nigel could deal with problems of his constituents would be:

A letter to the relevant department or official.
A letter to the Minister involved.
Many problems (but not all) can be solved in this way. The Minister may not be able to give the answer you want to hear but if the decision has been made in the correct way there may be little that he can do. If you feel there has been unnecessary delay or maladministration Nigel may be able to take your case to the Parliamentary Ombudsman. The Ombudsman can only be approached through Nigel; you cannot approach that office directly. The Health Service Ombudsman can provide similar help where the problem involves the NHS.